"The Smallest God" rejected by Interzone

With these interesting comments:

Note: this was a nice story, but rather lengthy for what it was saying
(basically good guy needing a supernatural experience with a small god to get his priorities sorted), a bit too mundane, and not quite ambitious or poignant enough for my liking. Good luck with placing it elsewhere, though.

I think this is an apt summation of the story. I of course disagree re: "mundane" and "ambitious" -- on second thought, it's not a very ambitious story. But I don't think it's mundane.

"The Smallest God" was loads of fun to write. It's still unpublished, though, after about 4 years. I have no idea what to do with it. I've already cut out about 2000 words (it was, of course, the florid descriptive stuff I love). Maybe I need to amp up the urban fantasy element. Maybe it needs more danger. Maybe it shouldn't have a love interest.

I don't know. It's so hard to take the revision machete to a story you really like. Even harder when you like the story and you think it accomplishes its goals, "mundane" and un"ambitious" as they might be.

0 comments: