I am The Man, part 2

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I had to fire an employee.


Here are the notes I took into the meeting:

Not going as we'd planned
Going to have to let you go

Here's what's going to happen:
  • Today will be your last day
  • Final check will be mailed to you
  • Info about COBRA will come by mail
  • My card/contact if you have any questions
Now let's go gather your personal items.

This is not a good match.
This is really better for all of us.

Don't try to fill awkward silences
DIGNITY
Like a good manager I Googled and researched before putting together my plan. The only helpful piece of advice I found came from, of all things, HR for Dummies. That book advised that you not try to fill awkward silences and you maintain the proceedings in a way that allow the employee to retain their dignity.

Then I thought about what my own firing could be like. If I absolutely had to be fired, no alternative, then how would I want it to go? I strived for that.

Having to tell someone they've lost their job is one of the single most emotionally draining experiences I've ever been through. I felt stressed before, went in with my heart pounding and my face flushed, and went home feeling as drained as if I'd been to a funeral. Hard, yes, it was hard. But I think I achieved my goal without any unnecessary loss of dignity.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

Already left a comment, in another part of this site, but maybe in the wrong place. New to this whole blog thing.

I just wanted you to know that I am your biggest fan and I have been since the day you were born. And that I love you very much.

Your favorite cousin (oh, alright, maybe not the favorite but at least your oldest cousin)

Love you,

Guess Who